Pentafuside See T20

pentamidine An antiprotozoal agent; used to treat or prevent Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia

(PCP). It can be administered intravenously or delivered directly into the lungs as an aerosol, using a breathing machine. Common side effects of intravenous pentamidine are low blood pressure, low blood sugar, high blood sugar, kidney failure, liver disease, low blood counts, or inflammation of the pancreas. Because it doesn't go directly into the bloodstream, aerosol, or nebulized, pentamidine rarely causes severe side effects (the most frequent are coughing and tightening of the chest that interferes with breathing). Fatigue, metallic taste in the mouth, decreased appetite, dizziness, rashes, nausea, irritation of mouth or nasal cavities, congestion, night sweats, chills, and vomiting also occur. It does not, however, affect PCP in parts of the body other than the lungs, so intravenous treatment is usually preferred for advanced PCP infections. Generally it is felt that pentamidine should be dispensed with caution if given with other drugs that can damage the kidneys. In addition, other substances that cause pancreatic damage, such as alcohol, ddl, and rifampin, may be dangerous if taken concurrently with pentamidine. (Trade names include NebuPent, Pentam, and Pentacarinat.)

pentoxifylline A blood flow agent, xanthine, that reduces levels of tumor necrosis factor (TNF). Pentoxifylline is a food and drug administra-TTON-approved treatment for a circulation disorder called intermittent claudication, caused by a narrowing of the arteries. For this condition it is essentially used to thin the blood. pentoxifylline has had variable results in AIDS patients in attempting to halt weight loss which may be caused by tumor necrosis factor. The drug once was thought to hold promise for HIV-infected people but trial data have shown otherwise. possible side effects include nausea and other digestive upset, dizziness, and headache (Brand name is Trental.)

people living with AIDS (PLWA) At the October 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, persons with AIDS from all over the United States took the naming of their condition one step further, announcing that they are "people living with AIDS." As with "people with aids," the insistence here upon naming as a key to identity, though partially aimed at the press, the public, the

Natural Vertigo And Dizziness Relief

Natural Vertigo And Dizziness Relief

Are you sick of feeling like the whole world Is spinning out of control. Do You Feel Weak Helpless Nauseous? Are You Scared to Move More Than a Few Inches From The Safety of Your Bed! Then you really need to read this page. You see, I know exactly what you are going through right now, believe me, I understand because I have been there & experienced vertigo at it's worst!

Get My Free Ebook

Post a comment